Exercise and Nutrition Health Education Curriculum for Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Table of ContentsLinks Open in New Window. The first phase is available here, the rest can be ordered. Cover Page
Table of Contents - Health Promotion Curriculum
Using the Exercise and Nutrition Health Education Curriculum
- Starting your Exercise and Nutrition Health Education Program
- Tips for Starting an Exercise Activity Program
- Teaching Strategies
- Evaluation of Participation Performance
PHASE 1 - PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND NUTRITION - CHOOSING TO BE HEALTHY
- Introduction-What is Health
- What is Physical Activity?
- Field Trip: Things to Do Before I Exercise
- Exercise is Good
- What Do Different Exercises Do for My Body?
- Field Trip: Good Nutrition
- How Much Energy Does it Take?
- Healthy Choices/Self-Advocacy
- Field Trip: What Do I Think of Me?
- What is My Heart Rate?
- What is My Blood Pressure?
- Field Trip: What Exercises Do I Like in My Community?
- What are Good and Bad Influences?
- Am I Drinking Enough Water?
- Field Trip: What Foods Do I Like to Eat?
- How About My Medications and Exercise?
- Things to Remember for Exercising
- Field Trip: Community Fitness Center Visit: Using Exercise Machines Safely
- How to Breathe When I Exercise
- Why Do We Clean Equipment?
- Field Trip: Nutrients We Need
- Exercise Plans - Becoming More Active
- Nutrition Plans - Making a Menu
- Field Trip: Wants and Needs - Doing Different Types of Exercises in My Community
- What is Good Pain and Bad Pain?
- How Does Sleep Affect Physical Activity?
- Field Trip: Negotiation and Compromise
- Can I Exercise If I Feel Sick?
- Am I Meeting My Goals?
- Field Trip: Rewarding Myself
- Restructuring My Environment
- Getting Back on Track
- Field Trip: Creating an Exercise Video
- Reviewing Our Goals to Stay Connected
- Putting it All Together
- Field Trip: Finishing Touches on Our Video
- Graduation and Party
Appendix A: Lifelong Learning Series
Appendix B: Index of Handouts, Worksheets, Games, and Newsletters
Appendix C: Assessment Tools
Appendix D: References
Appendix E: Resources