HealthMatters Program Scale-Up: Multi-State Systematic Approach
This project will examine the challenges to successful replication of the HealthMatters Program intervention, and the conditions and activities that contribute to effective adoption in real-world settings. By implementing this project, we have a unique opportunity to contribute to the larger body of research and science by developing a Scale-Up Logic Model detailing the necessary components to achieve systematic reach and impact among a population that often receives lifelong community based supports and health care services within complex and divers systems across the U.S.
- Test the efficacy of a tailored multi-level scale-up platform across three states to determine processes that facilitate maximal reach and impact of the HealthMatters Program (policy/fiscal level reach).
- Assess the capacity to support local CBOs in implementing the evidence-based HealthMatters Program within each state (community level reach).
- Evaluate the impact of the HealthMatters Program for people with I/DD and their support persons (individual level reach).
Community-Based Health Promotion Outreach:
The HealthMatters Community Academic Partnership (HealthMatters CAP) team has trained over 2000 instructors in 20 states and 5 countries have been certified by the HMCAP as Certified Instructors to start a health promotion program for people with I/DD to manage their health by being more physically active and making healthier food choices to reduce the onset of chronic health conditions (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease).
We have developed partnerships with 23 CBOs across the U.S. and Ireland through the HealthMatters Program and conduct trainings, workshops, presentations, and technical assistance through the following 8 HealthMatters Programs:
- HealthMessages Program: Becoming a Healthy Lifestyle Coach
- HealthMatters Program: Train-the-Trainer Certified Instructor Workshop
- HealthMatters: Getting the Memo
- HealthMatters: Developing Community Academic Partnerships for Service Learning, Research, and Training to Improve Health Outcomes for Individuals with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities
- Signs & Symptoms Program: Early Recognition of Emerging Health Problems
- Health Matters for People with Developmental Disabilities: Promoting Health Advocacy<
- What About Staff: Impact of HealthMatters Program for Employees in Day/Residential CBOs
- HealthMatters 4kids: Today Counts for Diabetes Prevention
We continue to initiate partnerships with CBOs, UCEDDs, and a State DD Councils to build capacity and develop systematic methods for increasing awareness for health promotion statewide using a peer to peer health messages program.
The HealthMatters, Kentucky! is a health promotion initiative aimed at improving health and health promotion of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) throughout the state of Kentucky. HealthMatters Program team has partnered with Human Development Institute at the University of Kentucky (HDI) and Kentucky Division of Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities to assist provider organizations with promoting healthy lifestyles to people with I/DD while meeting the requirements of the National Core Indicators.